Friday, June 16, 2006

Bonding Day 5: Fun in the Snow

OWEN, we took this picture for you because you wanted to see more pictures of Daddy! He made a sign with your name on it, and Ari's name. And see the Big Bird toy we bought for Eva? Also, I am putting up a picture of Mommy, Daddy and Eva for you. We took Eva outside to the playground. She really had fun. She will love playing with you guys at the park when we bring her home!

Today was Day 5 of bonding. We finally got permission to take her outside for a walk in the stroller, but only if she wore a warm hat and coat. Look how bundled up she is, and it was literally 95 degrees today! I can't believe how many layers they keep on these kids. I took the pink dress and socks for her, but that wasn't nearly enough clothes. I had to add the pants, the jacket, and the hat before she was dressed warmly enough for the outside weather. Regardless of the heat, she loved it outside. I'm not sure she's ever been out before. She was closing her eyes to the wind and taking it all in.

Petro has the strangest trees. I'm not sure what kind they are, but they release these seeds that look like little pieces of cotton. They were everywhere when we first arrived here, but Igor told us that they will get much worse. Well, apparently it's true. They are now filling the air. It's hard to walk around outside without breathing them in. In this picture of Keith and Eva outside, it looks like it's snowing. Those are the seeds. Luckily they aren't triggering any allergies in us. Some of the couples here are really quite sick from the dreaded seeds.

So today was a good day of visiting. She was in a pretty good mood. Yesterday she was an all-out crank. She didn't feel good, having just received a flu shot, and she wasn't interested in Keith at all. She warmed up to him more today. I tell you, it's only been 5 days, but she's turning into a little princess already. If I tell her no, she lays on her stomach and screams. If we try to put her down when she wants to be held, she screams when her feet touch the floor. Didn't take her long to get us figured out! She is getting more vocal, making noises and yelling. At first she was really quiet. Not so much anymore.

In case I haven't explained the process before, let me briefly recap. We spend 15 days bonding with the baby at the Baby House. We started on Monday, and today is our fifth day of bonding. After the bonding period, we file our paperwork for a court date. We will go to court within 7 days of the end of the bonding period. Once we get a favorable (hopefully) decision from the judge, it doesn't take effect until 15 days after the court date. This is the second waiting period, and is designed to allow adoptive parents to back out, or family to come forward, etc. After the 15 days is up, the judge's decision becomes effective. The child applies for her passport and visa. Then everyone heads to Almaty for registration with the US Embassy there, and a check at the SOS Clinic, to be sure the child is healhty enough to enter the US. Then it's onto the airplane, and the child becomes an American citizen when her foot touches US soil. If I leave after court, I'll be home around 3 weeks before I come back and pick her up. If I stay, I'll be here an extra 3 - 4 weeks without Keith before I can bring her home. I probably won't stay, but we haven't worked out the money and logistics of that part yet.

This has been a very interesting procedure, from start to finish. I've had days where I thought that no one should ever adopt again, ever. I've had days where I can't believe how blessed we are to have been given this amazing little girl. Talk about a roller coaster. But I'm so glad we found her. Enjoy the pictures, because they take FOREVER to upload!

2 Comments:

At 10:31 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

Why do they make them bundle up like that? She is so pretty! Praying for Ya!

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I was thinking the same thing. I would be worried about heat stroke.

Jennie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home